Tuesday, February 28, 2012

A LETTER FROM MOM AND DAD

It seems now after several weeks we finally finished teaching one of our investigators, Edward. He is text book all the way. At any rate, Edward is an Information Technology soon to be graduate. He is the president of his class and has presented a paper or two representing his college. We are now teaching his cousin James, he has had 4th and 5th lessons now, we will be giving 1,2,3 later this week. I asked Edward on Sunday if he had any questions about what we have talked about. He said, "No, I know everything you tell me true". In the 5th discussion we talk about every member being a missionary, I suggested that many young men go on missions, he said, "that is what I want to do." I worry a little about such hasty aspirations but these people are of Israel and many interesting things happen here, we find them spiritual connected. We hope he is baptized within the next two weeks. James will be right behind him, in every meeting he takes lots of notes. We were at church from 10 to 3, that included a baptismal service which he wanted to witness. Here, one bears testimony immediately after the baptism, we heard an eight year old and twenty year old this past Saturday. They throw the new members in the fire at once in Kenya.

Solomon and Helen, from Nanjait Village are very interesting couple we have been teaching recently. A few weeks ago he flagged us down and invited us to his home and we invited ourselves to give the lessons, they obliged. We have now given 5-6 discussions to members of this village and we are getting very well known. Solomon and Helen have several children, 6 are Kenyan runners with Carolyn trying to qualify for the London Games. They have a son in Houston, TX. Solomon promised the phone number of his son, we are hoping it will develop into a trip to the Houston Temple grounds for Whitni and Brent and Solomon's son. We have given them two discussions. Solomon has a TV, generator and a satellite dish which he said costs him $50/mo. That is a huge amount of change here. They have several sheep and chickens and six calves about the place. They have a good sized shamba (garden) and he assured me they never go to the market. Anyway, he said next time we come he will invite many neighbors, turn on the generator and we will bring our computer projector....this will be a good event. On Saturday Solomon questioned me in depth regarding how long we would be in Kenya, I think he was ready to give me some of his property so we could stay there close by to him. He was very happy to hear we would be around for a year or so. What lovely people these are. I am deeply touched by their hospitality and concern for us.

Weather is finally changing here, it has been dry and the rains are welcomed to knock down the red dust. With down-pour yesterday I had to turn on the headlights of the Nissan. Forgot to turn them off upon arriving home, battery ran down and was dead this morning. Well meaning neighbors said I could put it on a bicycle transport and have it taken to a service station for $1.50 plus a charge. Luckily I did not have the tools to take it out. No doubt that would have been the last time I would have seen the battery. Another neighbor had a Toyota p/u and gave me a jump, the Nissan responded immediately and fired off. One of the neighbors said he wanted a bible, I said the best I could do was the Book of Mormon. I gave him a quick introduction and he was very happy.

Was downtown this morning buying some computer time. I heard a noise like an acetylene
tank rolling and banging on the pavement. I looked and a driver going around a 'round-about' had his back door come open. He stopped on the street blocking traffic, then began to run down the street chasing a ten gallon propane tank that had rolled out of the back. I looked and it was surprising that the other three tanks on the back seat did not take a trip down the street. Luckily there was no ignition, it would have been a disaster.

We are doing well. Will be planning a trip to Lake Baringo soon, you can look it up on the net if you care.

Our thoughts and love. E/S Babcock, still in Kenya, coming up on our third point in a week.

No comments: