Thursday, November 3, 2011

ONCE A SCHOOL TEACHER, ALWAYS A SCHOOL TEACHER

Yesterday was amazing! This was such a special honor for us. Let me backtrack to the day we went to the forest to cut poles. While Elder Babcock was busy talking to the Forest District Manager at his office in the Kapsaret Forest I was busy getting things out of the back seat. I turned around to see a small school across a dirt road and every student in the school was looking at me. So I waved at the students (about 240 kids) and every student waved back at me. I turned back to get things organized in the truck, turned around and every student was still staring at me, I waved again. Every student waved back. After we did this back and forth a few more times the old school teacher spirit just hammered in my heart and I wanted to interact with all those beautiful children. I just had to go and talk with them. Their teachers were sitting outside so I began a walk across the dirt road and the students just went wild—they were clapping and shouting and so very excited that a muzungu (white person) would come onto their school property. I headed for the teachers, shook hand, and explained I was a teacher from America and could not resist coming to see the children. The teachers called the children over and explained I wanted to meet them. The children asked me questions and I was invited into the Class 8 classroom. (Students about 15 years). The students asked questions about America, spoke very good English, and were members of a tribe just down the road. Elder Babcock joined me in the classroom and the students asked if we would visit the following Wednesday for the Exam Party. All students in the Class 7 and older take an exam on the very same day here in Kenya. If a student wants to move on to higher education a student must pass the exam. We agreed to return for the party. The children were so excited that we kept our promise and returned the following Wednesday. We gave to the school a gift of soccer balls. I taught them some American Songs and games. The Grade 8 class cooked lunch for the party and we were the guests of honor. We were asked to give a speech to wish the students success in their Exams. The Headmaster and Parent Representative (PTA Pres) wanted to take us on a tour of the tribal village so we hopped in the truck and drove to the village. We were invited to the Parent Representative’s home, met his family, and were given this beautiful gourd his wife had created. Everyday is an adventure in this land of beautiful humble Kenyan people. The teachers were all interested in our church; we left them with copies of the Book of Mormon and bore our testimonies of the truthfulness of the restored gospel of our Savior Jesus Christ. The teachers, headmaster, and students all want us to return.







No comments: